Sunday, December 13, 2009

2Wheel 2zdaize

Hey all, hope you had a great week and got out to do some riding. I did not because at time of writing it is -38C(that is really fricken cold in Fahrenheit) outside and about a foot of snow, so no riding this week.

This 2wheel 2zdaize is dedicated to my 2nd dirt bike. It was a 1981 YZ80.



This picture is pulled from the net.

I bought it at an auction for $50 back in 1984ish, can't remember exactly. But I know I had my drivers license because I was alone at the auction and hauled it home in the back of the truck.

Upon, some basic inspection I discovered that it was not getting gas to the carb, thus the problem with not running. Having some mechanical skills for my age I pulled the gas line off and tried to blow it out, no luck. So feeling along the gas line I found a hard section, kind of like a snake after eating a rat, I cut it open to find a small piece of wood swelled up tight inside the line. To this day I still do not know how a piece of wood would get into the middle of a gas line but there it was. Luckily I lived on a farm so we had all kinds of engine parts and stuff i.e. junk, laying around to scavenge a piece of fuel line off of. After a quick retro fit and a couple of kicks on the kicker, the bike sprang to life. I could not believe it, and figured there must be something else wrong, but before I did a thorough inspection I took it out for a quick and I mean quick rip. In hindsight, that was probably not the smartest thing, but as I said I was a farm kid and thinking ahead was not an attribute I possessed. Luckily she held together and just like that I had a perfectly running dirt bike, and holy crap did that thing have a power band. I could get through most of the gears and not stop spinning the rear wheel the whole time, pretty good power upgrade from the TS100. I figured it was time to buy a helmet.

It was a great little bike, and my younger cousins enjoyed it after I outgrew it. That was also the demise of the bike as it slowly became unrepairable.

No comments:

Post a Comment